Decades Of Experience Holding Doctors And Hospitals Accountable
We rely on physicians, nurses, lab technicians, anesthesiologists and other medical professionals to provide appropriate care for us and our loved ones. When medical professionals fail to meet the accepted standards of care, patients can suffer serious injury or wrongful death.
Ellis Law Offices asserts the rights of people harmed by medical negligence. We have a long record of malpractice verdicts and settlements against Massachusetts medical providers, including recoveries in tough cases that other law firms turned down.
Do You Have A Case? 508-644-6325
Reach out to us for a free consultation and case evaluation. With offices in Worcester and Fitchburg, we take cases in central Massachusetts and statewide.
Medical Malpractice Takes Many Forms
Our experienced lawyers approach each medical malpractice case with the mindset that it will go to trial. We thoroughly investigate the case, analyze the evidence and, with the aid of medical experts, reconstruct what happened. Our methods have been successful in all types of cases:
- Diagnosis errors: Failure to diagnose cancer, stroke, heart attack, meningitis or other life-threatening conditions can result in serious personal injury or death and other illnesses. Misdiagnosis means that the patient will not receive necessary treatment in a timely manner.
- Surgical errors: When sponges, clamps or other surgical tools or instruments are left in the body after a surgical procedure, the result can be catastrophic. A second surgery is needed to remove the foreign body, but usually more serious complications arise, such as life-threatening infection and, in some cases, death. Other surgical errors include causing severe nerve damage to a location near a surgical site that was otherwise avoidable or severing an artery during surgery that causes major blood loss with serious complications or death.
- Anesthesia errors: The anesthesiologist and nurse-anesthetist have specific duties. Errors in preparing for surgery or monitoring patients during the operation can lead to brain injury, cardiac arrest and other trauma.
Nursing home negligence and abuse: When fragile elderly people are subjected to being dropped or to falls, bedsores, infections and abuse, the result can be painful injuries and wrongful death.
Birth injuries: A failure to carefully monitor the mother and fetus and take appropriate action can cause lifelong disabilities. This includes oxygen deprivation resulting in brain damage (cerebral palsy) and shoulder dystocia resulting in severe nerve damage (Erb’s palsy).
- Anesthesia errors and complications: An anesthesia error can turn a standard surgical procedure into a life-threatening crisis.
- Hospital errors: Short staffing, inadequate training and poor supervision can lead to emergency room errors, nursing errors and pharmaceutical errors.
- Medication errors: If a prescription is improperly written, read or filled by a pharmacy, any injuries caused as a result of the error may be compensable.
Investigating And Proving Medical Malpractice
Doctors, hospitals and their lawyers do not like to admit mistakes. They vigorously defend any allegations of medical malpractice, trying to convince juries that what happened was an unfortunate result that could not be avoided.
Our lawyers build cases carefully, connecting with specialists in every field of medicine. We believe that our lawyers’ strong grasp of the medical aspects of these cases makes a difference in the outcome of the case. We can identify the specific errors and the causal connection to our client’s severe or permanent injury or your loved one’s untimely death in the care of medical professionals. Our detailed case for damages often yields a good settlement, but we are also confident in our courtroom abilities if we must try the case to verdict to get justice.
We Work The Case Ourselves
Most lawyers who advertise for medical malpractice never intend to handle the case. They only intend to pass the case to an outside firm to collect a referral fee. At Ellis Law Offices, our attorneys personally investigate, prepare and litigate med mal cases.
Free Consultation · We Don’t Get Paid Unless You Recover Compensation
Medical malpractice lawsuits are complex and challenging. Substantial financial resources and an extensive network of expert witnesses are necessary to successfully bring these cases to trial. Ellis Law Offices has the resources and the experience for medical malpractice and negligence cases.
Contact an attorney for a free consultation. We are happy to come to your home or hospital, anywhere in Massachusetts, if you cannot come to our offices.